Lemon Leaf Cake (keto)
This lemon cake is so soft, moist, and so delicious, even though it's completely oil-free! The recipe is vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free, and easy to prepare. you can see below the simple instructions steps.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Total time 40 minutes
6 . servings
• kitchen scale*
• Fryer 8 x 8 *
dry cake ingredients
• 1 cup (160g) rice flour (I used white)
• 1 cup (90 g) oat flour (gluten-free if needed*)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/3 teaspoon salt
• 1/8-1/4 teaspoon turmeric (for a nice yellow color)
wet cake ingredients
• 1/2 cup (120 ml) canned coconut milk**
• 1/3 cup (110 g) maple syrup***
• 1/3 cup (80 ml) lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons (40 grams) aquafaba ****
zest of one lemon (about 1 teaspoon full)
• 3/4 cup full powder (100 g) erythritol or powdered sugar *****
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons of vegetable milk
1. I recommend using a kitchen scale for this recipe.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking tray (or baking tray) with parchment paper for easy removal. The pan measures 9 x 6, respectively. 23 x 15 cm (see photos above in the blog post).
3. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl with an egg beater.
4. Add the wet ingredients and mix with a whisk until combined (do not over mix).
5. Pour the mixture into the lined skillet. Bake for 25 minutes in the oven or until a toothpick (set in the middle) comes out clean. It took 24 minutes in my gas oven.
6. Let it cool completely. Meanwhile, make the cream/glaze.
7. Simply add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix with a whisk. The icing should be liquid but not too thin. If it's too thin, add more erythritol powder/powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a little lemon juice or vegetable milk.
8. Pour the frosting over the cooled lemon cake and put the cake in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes. The ice will set pretty quickly when using erythritol (what I did).
9. Cut into squares and enjoy! Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Check out the recipe notes below.
* To prepare your own oatmeal, simply process the oats in a blender or electric coffee/spice grinder.
** Since the recipe is oil-free, I used canned coconut milk which is higher in fat than any other plant-based milk. If you don't like coconut, you can use your favorite vegetable milk and add 2 tablespoons of oil.
*** You can use any other liquid sweetener (eg agave syrup, malt syrup, etc.) in place of maple syrup.
**** Aquafaba (also known as chickpea brine) is the liquid from a can of chickpeas.
***** I used erythritol which I processed in my electric coffee/spice grinder. You can use powdered sugar instead, but I've noticed that erythritol makes a better powder than processed white sugar.
Nutrition facts for 1 Piece When you cut the cake into 6 squares (1/6 of the recipe).
lemon leaf cake
Amount per service
241 calories from fat 44
% Daily Value*
Fat 4.9 g 8%
carbohydrates 43.6 g 15%
Fiber 2.4 g 10%
Sugar 12.4 g 14%
Protein 4 g 8%