Vegan Ice Cream (Keto)
This homemade, vegan ice cream uses a special secret (and nutritious) ingredient for creamy, thick results! Using just 6 simple ingredients, you can mix up dairy-free, egg-free, refined-sugar, and gluten-free vegan chocolate ice cream - without the need for an ice cream maker!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
Total time 55 minutes
• 8.8 oz (250 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked (*see notes)
• 1/3 cup (105 g) of maple syrup or a liquid sweetener of your choice
• 7 small dates (50 g) pitted
• 1 1/3 cup (320 ml) canned whole coconut milk (*see notes)
• 4 tablespoons (24 g) cocoa powder or cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (*see notes)
• 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee optional
• pinch of sea salt
1. Cook one medium sweet potato. I used white Japanese sweet potatoes which I boiled in a saucepan with water (about 15-20 minutes). However, if you are using orange sweet potatoes, I highly recommend baking in the oven at 400°F (200°C) until tender (about 45 minutes). It is also possible to cook the potatoes in the microwave for a few minutes until they are soft. to calm down. Sweet potatoes, cooked and cooled, should weigh 250 grams.
2. Add all ingredients to blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth, silky and creamy. Add the mixture to the baking tray, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the freezer. An ice cream storage container works best. If you have an ice cream maker, feel free to use it. The ice cream will be more creamy.
3. Freeze for at least 4 hours to get a soft consistency or overnight. Let it thaw at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy! Store it in the freezer for up to two weeks, but it tastes best when fresh.
• White potatoes (Japanese sweet potatoes) contain more starch and less water. It's okay if you boil it. However, orange sweet potatoes contain more water and therefore must be baked in the oven.
• If you do not like the taste of coconut milk, use any other vegetable milk like cashew milk, almond milk, etc. and add 3 tablespoons of refined coconut oil.
• Adding any ingredients that contain alcohol (eg 1 tablespoon of vodka) will make the ice cream creamy, as it lowers the freezing point of the mixture.
• Add 1/4 cup of melted dairy-free chocolate chips for extra chocolate flavour.
• If you decide to substitute full cream coconut milk for carton milk and have issues with freezing hard ice cream, then you can break the ice cream into chunks and blend it in a blender/food processor to achieve a creamy, silky smooth texture.
• Preparation time does not include freezing time.
vegan ice cream
Quantity Per Serving (100g)
196 calories from fat 96
% Daily Value*
Fat 10.7 g 16%
Saturated fat 9.2 g 46%
Carbohydrates 25.6 g 9%
Fiber 3.5 g 14%
Sugar 15.7 g 17%
Protein 2.2 g 4%